Implementation Planning is Underway for TEPHINET’s FETP Learning Strategy
In November 2020, TEPHINET introduced a ten-year FETP Learning Strategy aimed at ensuring a well-trained and professional global field epidemiology workforce prepared to address evolving public health priorities. The strategy builds upon goals initially set forth within TEPHINET's 2017-2020 Strategic Plan and expanded upon in TEPHINET's 2021-2026 Strategic Plan. The strategy also aligns with the Global Field Epidemiology Roadmap on several recommendations, especially the recommendation to continually monitor and assure needed improvements and changes in the FETP Enterprise, such as expanding and modernizing FETP core competencies and curricula.
In early 2021, the FETP Learning Advisory Council (FLAC), along with the TEPHINET Secretariat and learning working groups, began prioritizing which initiatives to implement first in order to advance the strategy’s goals. With technical input from the working groups and other stakeholders, the FLAC was able to narrow the field from more than 72 potential initiatives to the top five, outline below and further detailed in the slides at the bottom of this page:
- Develop competency frameworks for mentors and trainers.
- Develop an FETP network plan to guide the measurement of program learning outcomes.
- Research and provide FETPs with modern learning best practices, tools, tips, and guidance to help them implement and use modern learning solutions effectively.
- Provide an overarching definition of learning quality, with associated quality criteria and guidelines, to develop, assess, and select FETP learning materials.
- Identify common continuous learning needs of alumni and gather learning resources (solutions, supplemental materials, content, etc.), by curation or development, that will contribute to alumni continuous learning.
With the above priority initiatives identified, TEPHINET and the related learning working groups have begun developing implementation plans for each one, anticipating that drafts of these plans will be completed by October 2021.
A major component of achieving many of the new strategy’s goals includes identifying the technology needed to make learning materials and related activities more accessible to FETP members around the world. As many of the key initiatives originally identified were technology related, and as TEPHINET had already begun implementation planning around this topic, updating learning technology became a sixth priority initiative for initial implementation. The TEPHINET Secretariat has developed an implementation plan and established a technology working group to help identify appropriate technology needs, functional requirements, and possible solutions. The technology working group held a kick-off meeting in June 2021 and is projected to conclude this process by fall 2021. The TEPHINET Secretariat will then lead the vendor analysis and procurement process with the goal of launching the new technology solution in spring 2022.
Learn more about the FETP Learning Strategy or our current Learning Center resources. Contact Claire Jennings, Learning Program Manager, at cjennings [at] tephinet [dot] org to ask questions or contribute to the strategy implementation process.